Cairn terriers are intelligent and active dogs, but to maintain their activeness, we need to give them a proper and balanced diet that will provide them with energy and support their growth. To ensure their health, you need to choose the best dog food for the cairn terrier; after all, it’s a matter of your dog’s health.
We’ve also included a guide for cairn terrier owners to choose the best dog foods…
Also, we’ve explained how much to feed your dog and what are the nutritional requirements.
- 1 Best Dog Food For Cairn Terriers
- 1.1 1. Diamond Naturals Real Meat Dog Food
- 1.2 2. Zignature Pork Formula Grain-Free Dog Food
- 1.3 3. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- 1.4 4. ORIJEN Dog Small Breed Recipe
- 1.5 5. ORIJEN Dog Original Recipe
- 1.6 6. NUTRO ULTRA Adult Small Breed
- 1.7 7. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- 1.8 8. ORIJEN Dog – Best for Cairn Terrier Puppies
- 1.9 9. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dog Food
- 1.10 10. Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 2 How to Select the Best Dog Food for Cairn Terrier Dog? (Things to Consider)
- 3 Breed Overview of a Cairn Terrier
- 4 Ingredients to Avoid for a Cairn Terrier Dog
- 5 What to Feed a Cairn Terrier Dog?
- 6 How much should a cairn terrier eat?
- 7 General Care Tips for Cairn Terrier Dogs
- 8 Common Health Issues in a Cairn Terrier.
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 FAQ’s
Best Dog Food For Cairn Terriers
The ingredient used in Diamond natural is the following:
- Chicken, chicken meal, chicken fat, and fish meal.
- Ground white rice, kale, chia seeds, and pumpkin.
- Barley, egg product, dried yeast, and beet pulp.
- Natural flavor, flaxseeds, coconut, and spinach.
- Blueberries, oranges, quinoa, and dried kelp.
- Carrots, papaya, and Salmon oil.
Diamond provides ingredients with exceptional quality. Having chicken as its only Source of protein makes it a protein-rich and natural food. Ingredients provide health and support nutritional needs and provide digestive support.
This tiny bite food is ideal for small puppies, and having DHA supports the brain and vision. While protein and omega-3 and 6 & help the dogs’ health and skin and coat.
The limited ingredient used in Zignature pork is the following:
- Pork, pork meal, and pork fat.
- Peas, pea flour, and chickpeas.
- Natural flavor and flaxseeds.
Zignature provides food with limited ingredients with high protein levels. The use of pork has a protein level of about 89%, and pork is healthier and provides amino acids for healthy digestion and growth. This is limited ingredient food full of protein content.
The ingredient used in Hills’s science is the following:
- Chicken, chicken meal, chicken fat, and chicken liver.
- Yellow peas, barley, brown rice, and brewer rice.
- Grain sorghum, egg product, flaxseeds, and pork liver flavor.
- Soybean oil and dried beet pulp.
Hills science provides excellent food for adult dogs because it is a beneficial and balanced diet. This food is perfect for the digestive health of dogs and improves digestion. Using prebiotic fiber for gut bacteria provides helps to balance the microbiome.
Having chicken, chicken fat, and liver supports the skin and maintains your dog’s healthy coat.
The ingredient used in Orijen core is the following:
- Deboned Chicken, Dehydrated Chicken, Chicken liver, heart, and fat, and Chicken cartilage
- Deboned Turkey, Dydrated Turkey, Turkey Liver, and Turkey cartilage
- Quail, eggs, red lentils, chickpeas,
- Lentil fiber, pea starch, chicken flavor,
- Whole Atlantic mackerel, dehydrated mackerel,
- Pumpkin, cranberries, carrots, apples,
- Pollock oil,
Providing protein-rich food by using turkey, chicken with liver, and hearts. Dehydrated chicken and turkey are full of protein and no moisture. This increases the protein level in the food, making it ideal for only puppies because they need it.
Eggs, cartilage, lentils, and pea are also protein sources, beneficial for dogs’ health and better puppies’ growth.
The ingredient used in Orijen core is the following:
- Deboned Chicken, Chicken liver, Fat, bones, and heart.
- Deboned Turkey, Turkey Liver, and Turkey heart.
- Chicken bones, chicken cartilage, turkey cartilage.
- Dehydrated chicken, dehydrated turkey, and dehydrated mackerel.
- Dehydrated chicken liver and dehydrated eggs.
- Whole red lentils, pinto beans, green peas, chicken necks.
- Atlantic flounder, whole eggs, whole Atlantic mackerel. whole Atlantic herring,
- Whole green lentils, whole chickpeas, navy beans, and lentil fiber.
- Some Veggies and fruits.
Orijen’s motto is to provide natural taste and ingredient-based food for dogs to give them their natural and wild taste. Having fish, eggs, chicken, and turkey cover 85% of the food ingredients, and others are fruits and veggies without any gluten or potatoes.
This product has raw food for better taste and benefits most of the time. Following whole prey philosophy and adding whole animal ingredients: meat, organs, cartilage. This provides protein-rich ingredients for better growth of
The first ingredient used in Nutro ultra is the following:
- Chicken, chicken meal, lamb meal, chicken fat, and salmon meal.
- Whole brown rice, brewers rice, and rice bran.
- Whole grain oatmeal, whole flaxseeds, and pea protein.
Believing that dogs should enjoy their natural food, this brand knows how to love and care for dogs simultaneously. Nutro believed dogs should never compromise on their tastes. Chicken and lamb satisfy the owners, and chicken is used as the first ingredient.
This recipe is a blend of many superfoods: chia, kale, blueberries, coconut, and many others to provide nutrients. These ingredients help your dogs thrive.
The ingredient used in Wellness is the following:
- Deboned turkey, chicken meal, salmon meal, and chicken fat.
- Oatmeal, ground brown rice, and oat.
- Barley, tomato pomace, tomatoes, and pea fiber.
- Ground flaxseeds, carrots, and spinach.
- Salmon oil and natural chicken flavor.
- Sweet potatoes, blueberries, and apples.
This food is full of nutrients and made with authentic ingredients for the better health of your Cairn. It is a balanced diet of nutrition that supports whole-body growth and promotes health. The ingredients like turkey, oatmeal, rice, fruits, and veggies provide antioxidants, probiotics, omega fatty acids, and taurine to support the heart.
Scientifically crafted for your dogs: small, large, and big. It is grain-free and. Made in the USA with high and good quality meat to provide protein.
The ingredient used in Orijen core is the following:
- Deboned chicken and turkey; Chicken and Turkey lever.
- Whole Atlantic mackerel and Whole Atlantic herring.
- Chicken necks, chicken kidneys, chicken heart, and chicken fat.
- Dehydrated chicken, Turkey, and Mackerel.
- Dehydrated chicken liver and dehydrated eggs
- Whole chickpeas, ground chicken bones, and chicken cartilage.
- Veggies and Fruits
This dog food by Orijen is one of the best Cairn Terrier Puppy foods because its main motto is to provide nourishment to your dog by providing natural food. This is done by focusing on the biological needs of the dogs, which are protein-rich food. To fulfill dogs’ protein needs, they provide food with a recipe of chicken and turkey being the main ingredients.
Chicken, turkey, and eggs help optimize the nutrition in your Cairn’s growing body. Features recipe full of natural ingredients meat, cartilage, bones, potatoes, fresh fruits, and vegetables for better growth.
The ingredient used in Purina pro core is the following:
- Salmon, fish meal, beef fat, and salmon meal.
- Barley, rice, oatmeal, and canola meal.
- Dried yeast and chicory root.
- Natural flavors, sunflower oil, and fish oil.
This is a limited ingredient-based Purina pro product for dogs, with salmon and rice to provide nutrients. Salmon is used as a first ingredient to provide protein, making this food extra healthier.
This is a great food for sensitive stomach dogs because of its ingredients, and it boosts the dog’s digestive system. Fish oil provides EPA (omega-3 for joints and mobility and omega-6 for skin and coat).
The ingredient used in the Wellness core is the following:
- Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, chicken fat
- Lentils, peas, tomato pomace, ground flaxseeds,
- Dried ground potatoes, taurine, spinach, broccoli, carrots,
- Natural chicken flavor, parsley, kale,
- Apples, blueberries,
- Salmon oil, rosemary extract, green tea extract.
Wellness provides grain-free dry dog food for dogs made with chicken and turkey to provide proper protein and benefits. It is a healthy recipe-based food, with chicken and turkey being the main protein sources.
This recipe has vegetables to provide fats and carbs to provide optimal health. The small kibble size makes it easier to feed this product to your dog. Broccoli, carrots, and spinach are safe for dogs; the use of fruit makes this product healthier for your cairn terrier.
How to Select the Best Dog Food for Cairn Terrier Dog? (Things to Consider)
While selecting dog food for a cairn terrier, always consider food according to your dog’s age. While puppies need more protein and calories, adults need a balanced diet. Select according to your dog’s age and breed, and needs.
Meat Based Proteins
Many brands nowadays use other protein-based ingredients to save money, but dogs always choose meat-based because it has pure and beneficial protein.
No Artificial Chemicals
Ensure your dog’s food does not have any artificial chemicals. Chemicals are harmful to dogs’ health. Choose wisely.
Ensure the cairn food you choose for them has enough beneficial supplements to provide vitamins and calcium to your dogs.
When selecting your cairn dog food, ensure that it is AAFCO certified. They guarantee after testing that food is safe for specific breeds according to their needs.
Breed Overview of a Cairn Terrier
We’ve also covered the Breed overview so that you may get to know your cairn terrier better.
Cairn terriers originated in Scottish highlands and the isle of Skye. They are recognized as working dogs and were given the name Cairn because they were used for hunting and chasing quarry between cairns.
The cairns terriers are broad-headed and small erect ear dogs. The body is compact, and the legs are short, with the tail being naturally carried high. They are unique and have a soft undercoat, and the outer coat is shaggy and water-resistant. The outercoat gives the dog a playful appearance.
Nutritional and Dietary Requirements of a Cairn Terrier (According to Life Stage)
Puppies’ nutritional needs are higher relatively than adults and seniors. Four key nutrients: protein, fat, calcium, and carbs, and protein requirements are higher than others because it helps in growth. So, keep in mind these requirements and choose your puppy food accordingly.
An adult needs a balanced diet full of protein, fats, and carbs but should be balanced. Protein should be balanced, and fats and carbs should be from vegetables.
Seniors have fewer activities, so they should take less amount of food and especially protein. So, they can digest it easily and get energy from fat and carbs but in less amount.
Ingredients to Avoid for a Cairn Terrier Dog
Onions – It causes gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage in dogs.
Chocolate – It can cause kidney failure and is poisonous to dogs
Nut – It affects dogs’ muscles and nervous system, causing weakness and panting.
Corn – It damages the intestine and blocks them.
Avocado – I contain persin that causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Cooked Bones – They can splinter in a dog’s mouth and causes injuries, and
Grapes/Raisins– Grapes can cause dogs liver damage and kidney failure.
Meat meal – It is not hydrated and causes dehydration in dogs.
Vegetable oil – It is derived from soybean and corn, which is not safe for dogs.
What to Feed a Cairn Terrier Dog?
Choose a feeding schedule for cairn dogs wisely because not all human food or vegetables are safe for dogs.
You can give your dog carrots, blueberries, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery heart with meat-based ingredients chicken, turkey, and salmon. The diet should be balanced with protein, healthy fats, ground bones, and vegetables to provide essential minerals and vitamins to provide energy and maintain health.
How much should a cairn terrier eat?
For six months cairn terrier, you should give them food twice a day:
- Breakfast and dinner.
- Do not let them consume more than that because it can lead to weight gain.
- Divide ⅓ cup of dry dog food into two portions.
- For adults, divide 1 cup of food into two or three portions with some activities.
General Care Tips for Cairn Terrier Dogs
While taking care of your cairn terrier:
- Train them to be gentle around humans, especially children.
- Give them food according to timing.
- Bath them once or twice a week also.
Common Health Issues in a Cairn Terrier.
These are the health issues that occur in cairn terriers:
Food Allergies– Cairn is not most likely to be allergic. Most breeds develop allergies like pollens. Symptoms are itchiness, hives, and chewing rubbing (ears or eye).
CMO- Craniomandibular Osteopathy: a bone disorder that causes non-inflammatory, non-malignant overgrowth of bones. It can affect the mandible, petrous bone, and joints, leading to jaw pain, chewing issues, weight loss, and fever.
GCL– Globoid Cell Leukodystrophy: occurs when enzyme deficiency occurs, and it is a fatal disease. It can accumulate myelin and damage the nerve cells. It appears from 6-22 months of age, and symptoms can be a weakness, abnormal gait, tremors, and jerky movements.
LCP– Legg calve Perthes. It occurs in a toy or small breeds under 1-year. Symptoms are gait, favoring the affected limb, and it is aseptic necrosis of the head of the femur.
LP– luxating patella in which kneecap slips from its original position. It occurs in small breeds, and it occurs genetically, and surgery can save dogs.
Glaucoma– in this situation, pressure on the cairn eye increases
Cataracts– in this eye of the dogs becomes cloudy. They cannot see properly. Everything seems blurred out.
Selecting the best dog food for a cairn terrier is easy because you only need to Make sure you are choosing food for your dog according to its breed and size and how to ensure it? Verify if a brand is AAFCO certified by inspecting its package.
The best dog food for cairn terrier Dogs have balanced nutrients, essential vitamins, and calcium with a balanced amount of protein, fats, and carbs to ensure their health. The Cairn gains weight easily. So, divide their food into twice or trice meals in a day.
Are cairn terriers hypoallergenic?
The cairn terriers are brave and keen mind personality dogs. However, Yes, they are hypoallergenic dogs that rarely shed and drool.
Can Cairn Terriers be prone to obesity?
One of the significant health issues of cairn terriers is obesity, and it leads to joint issues, metabolic and digestive issues: back pain, and heart diseases.
What is the average cost of a Cairn Terrier?
A cairn terrier can cost around 1000-2000$, but it also depends on the breeder’s reputation and where you are buying. You can go to adopting or rescuing centers.
Are Cairn Terriers good lap dogs?
Cairn terriers are great and intelligent, and loyal family dogs. They easily adapt to the environment and are active and likely to bark excessively. Because of this, they are not good lapdogs.