Some dogs are not lucky enough to enjoy every ingredient and food. They get allergic to smells or flavors, usually because of the ingredients. So, you will always need dog food that may help get rid of allergies in your dogs. Don’t worry! We’ve got your back.
We have discussed 13 hypoallergenic dog food later in this article to help you select the best dog food for allergies.
We will also discuss the possible ingredients responsible for causing allergies in the dog. While selecting the best food for your dog to avoid any allergies, you have some factors to consider. Make sure to read this article to get a better understanding of it.
- 1 Best Dog Food For Allergies in 2022 – Allergy Friendly Dog Foods
- 1.1 1. Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- 1.2 2. CANIDAE Dog Food
- 1.3 3. Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Salmon, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 1.4 4. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet
- 1.5 5. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
- 1.6 6. ZIWIPeak Air-Dried Dog Food
- 1.7 7. Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Dry Dog Food with Real Meat, Grain-Free
- 1.8 8. Purina Beyond Simply, Natural Chicken Adult Dry Dog Food & Puppy Food
- 1.9 9. AvoDerm Natural Dry & Best Wet Dog Food, For Skin & Coat
- 1.10 10. Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food
- 1.11 11. Halo Dry Dog Food, Grain-Free, Small Breed Dog Food
- 1.12 12. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- 1.13 13. Taste of the Wild Smoked Salmon High Protein
- 2 Homemade Dog Food for Allergies
- 3 Which Ingredients are Allergic to Dogs?
- 4 Things to Consider Before Getting Best Dog Food for Food Allergies or Skin Allergies?
- 5 Causes of Dog Skin Allergies
- 6 Conclusion
Best Dog Food For Allergies in 2022 – Allergy Friendly Dog Foods
Wellness is one of the best-limited ingredients dog foods. The food is specifically suitable for allergy-prone dogs or adult dogs with sensitivities. The food is grain-free, and the limited ingredients dog food means it is prepared with one source of protein from animals.
The food has digestible carbohydrates and has no fillers. The product has natural prebiotics, which help in the digestive system. Some antioxidants support the immune system and fatty acids, which keep dogs’ coats and skin healthy.
There is glucosamine and taurine also, which are for a healthy heart. The food is formed in the USA from non-GMO ingredients, with optimal nutritional benefits. There is no use of additives, color, or by-products.
- Turkey meal, deboned turkey, natural turkey flavor
- Peas, dried potatoes, tomato pomace
- Flaxseed, canola oil
- Dicalcium phosphate, chicory root extract, choline chloride, zinc sulfate
- Zinc proteinate, zinc sulfate, calcium carbonate, iron proteinate, beta-carotene
- Vitamin E, taurine, vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin D3, vitamin C
- D-calcium pantothenate, folic acid
- Rosemary extract, green tea extract, spearmint extract
Salmon and sweet potatoes are the main ingredients in Canidae’s dog food. It is dry dog food. Most dogs love its smell and taste because of its ingredients. Salom is used as its first ingredient. Among these, menhaden fish and peas, and sweet potatoes are used.
The food is for adult dogs. It is a completely balanced diet for them. Some antioxidants help with digestion and maintain the immune system. The nutrition and vitamins maintain the joints, skin, and coats.
- Salom, salmon meal, menhaden fish meal,
- Sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes,
- Canola oil, naturally occurring microorganisms.
- Natural flavors, taurine, minerals( iron, zinc, copper, potassium, magnesium)
- Vitamins E, vitamin A, calcium, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin D3,
- Thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, biotic, niacin, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols.
Nature offers grain-free food, with salmon, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin as their ingredients. The food is dry dog food. Salmon has been used as a first ingredient. The food is for all kinds of breeds, puppies, adults.
The product does not use any additives artificial colors, or flavors. No use of corn or wheat is there in the food. As its name suggests, the food is purely made with nature and does not have additives or artificial ingredients.
The brand for over 30 years has been working for this cause, with natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. The digestible food maintains the health of the dog.
- Salom, chicken meal, chicken fats,
- Sweet potatoes, peas, pumpkin,
- Tapioca starch, canola meal, garbanzo beans,
- Natural flavors, salt, minerals ( sulfates, zinc, copper, sodium, manganese, calcium).
- Dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, taurine, di-methionine,
- Calcium carbonate, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B12,
- D calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplements, pyridoxine hydrochloride,
- Folic acid, biotin, choline chloride, L-theanine, lactic acid, citric acid, rosemary extract.
The Natural sells dry dog food. The food is for adult dogs. Lamb is the first ingredient in the food.
Ingredients in the food are limited and of high quality. The food provides essential amino acids to dogs for their muscles.
The food is made with simple, premium, and calcium ingredients and is full of taste. The lamb and brown rice have limited ingredients. The food is free of gluten ingredients. The food keeps the dogs healthy and active so they can enjoy their life.
Brown rice contains fiber which is good for digestion. The food is full of vitamins and minerals. The products are backed up by the buy with confidence. It is assured that the food is healthy, tasty, and safe for adult dogs of all sizes.
According to the age, health, weight, breed, temperature, and activity level of the dogs, the amount of serving should be maintained. You can serve them twice or thrice a day however make sure to consult a vet too.
- Lamb, lamb meal.
- Brown rice, brewers rice, rice bran.
- Brewers dried yeast.
- Sunflower oil, vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin B12.
- Natural flavors, salt, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplements, thiamine mononitrate.
- Choline chloride, di-methionine, taurine, folic acid, biotin,
- Minerals ( iron, copper, zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.
- Rosemary extract, green tea extract, spearmint extract.
The blue buffalo offers food with real salmon. The food is formulated with single animal protein with peas, potatoes, and pumpkins. These ingredients help with digestion because they are gluten-free.
The food does not have any chicken, beef, corn, wheat, soy, dairy, or eggs; it makes it ideal for dogs with allergies or sensitivities. The antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals help the immune system. Salmon is a good source of omega-3 and fatty acids.
This food contains no preservatives, artificial flavors, or colors. Because the ingredients are carefully selected, the food is perfect for sensitive dogs. Some carbohydrates are easy to digest.
There is taurine in the food that helps the dogs to maintain their teeth and health. It is based in the United States.
- Debond salom, salmon meal.
- Tapioca starch, potatoes, peas, potato starch, dried chicory root
- Canola oil, pea protein, pea fiber, pumpkin, parsley, kelp, barley grass.
- Natural flavor, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, alfalfa meal.
- Choline chloride, salt, potassium chloride, flaxseed, caramel.
- Vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B7, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin B9.
- Blueberries, cranberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried yeast.
- Turmeric, ferrous sulfate, iron amino acid chelate.
- Zinc amino acid, zinc sulfate.
- Oil of rosemary, L-carnitine, L-lysine, copper sulfate, copper amino acid chelate, nicotine acid, folic acid, calcium iodate.
ZiwiPeak dog food contains 96% free-range lamb, organs, bones, green mussels (New Zealand), and air-dried ingredients. It is ideal for dogs with picky behavior.
The food is full of nutrients, carbohydrates, no fillers: grain, potatoes, peas, which can cause obesity. The food has ingredients that help with digestion, healthy skin, coats, joints, inflation, heart, and brain.
The food is for all dogs and breeds, with full flavor and nutrients. The brand has natural ingredients, as rooted in New Zealand culture, farmers and fishermen believe in their roles and perform them wholeheartedly. They just believe in bringing out the best from the pet by providing them the best.
- Lamb, lamb heart, lamb liver, lamb kidney, lamb lungs, lamb bones.
- Green mussels, insulin from chicory, dried kelp.
- Minerals: magnesium sulfate, zinc amino acid, Copper, iron, manganese amino acid complex.
- Salt, parsley, preservatives
- Vitamins: vitamin E, vitamin D3, folic acid.
Rachel Ray offers grain-free salmon and sweet potato ingredient food for dogs. The food is simple and delicious with natural ingredients, full of vitamins, minerals, and taurine. The food has salmon as its first ingredient.
The food does not contain artificial ingredients, preservatives, flavors, or colors. There are no by-products in the food. It is gluten-free, and also there are no fillers. The food is for all breeds but not for large size dogs.
- Salom, chicken meal, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat, turkey meal.
- Sweet potatoes, dried peas, pea starch, dried beet pulp, tapioca.
- Who dried potatoes, whole flaxseed, natural flavor, salt.
- Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, choline chloride, folic acid.
- Vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin D3
The Purina offers food with natural and limited ingredients. It has simple-9 white meat chicken and barley recipes. The food is pea-free, lentil-free, potato-free, and has real chicken as its first ingredient.
There is plenty of nutrition in the food for the dogs. It is formulated without corn, soy, or wheat. The food has nutrients, minerals, and vitamins for the dogs. The brand gets its ingredients from highly trusted sources.
The food has real farm-raised chicken without any steroids. It has sunflower oil and omega-6 fatty acids to maintain the skin and coat of the dog. The food is digestible and provides support to the dogs for healthy digestion.
- Beef, chicken by-product meal, eggs, and chicken flavor.
- Whole grain corn and wheat, barley, and rice.
- Soybeans, oatmeals, poultry by-product meal, glycerine.
- Mono and dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, poultry, and digest.
AvoDerm offers natural dry and wet dog food. The food is balanced according to the adult dogs. The chicken meal and brown rice are the main ingredients. Avocado-rich food maintains the health, skin, and coat of dogs.
The food maintains the immune system and health of the dogs. The food has all-natural ingredients. The food has no wheat, corn, soy, pea, potatoes, legumes, or any other by-products.
There is no use of any artificial flavors in the food.
The food is rich in vitamins and nutrients and helps maintain a dog’s immune system. Its taste is so good that dogs are always eager to eat it again and again. It is naturally a high-protein food.
- Chicken meal, greyhound brown rice, ground white rice, oatmeal, chicken fat.
- Rice bran, avocado, dried tomato pomace, flaxseeds.
- Natural flavors, alfalfa meal, herring meal, potassium chloride.
- Salt, kelp meal, avocado oil.
- Vitamins : vitamin C, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin D3.
- Minerals: zinc, ferrous, iron, zinc amino acids, selenium yeast, copper, manganese sulfate, manganese amino acids chelate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate.
- Rosemary extract, sage extract, pineapple stem, papaya extract, dehydrated lactobacillus.
Merrick offers food made with limited ingredients. The food is dry dog food. The food is grain-free with salmon and sweet potatoes. The food is specifically ideal for dogs with sensitivities or any kind of allergy towards anything.
The first ingredient in the food is real debonded salmon. This food contains no grains, soy, gluten, or wheat. The food is formulated with 10 ingredients for adult dogs.
Salmon provides single-sourced protein: amino acids, vitamins, minerals are in it to balance the diet. The food contains no eggs, preservatives, or artificial flavors. The food is best for the digestive system. The food is formulated in the USA.
Halo food offers dogs food for small breeds. The food is grain-free and delicious. The food does not appreciate factory farming, sources our high-quality fish from the marine stewardship council, and uses non-GMO fruits and vegetables.
The food by a halo is always formulated in the USA. The food is highly digestible, and there are no artificial preservatives, ingredients. The food has fewer calories and fats and has L-carnitine for the metabolism that helps the small dogs to maintain their weight.
The food is for smaller amounts. It is a small kibble. The food has a crunchy texture with a lovable taste for dogs.
- Salom, whitefish, egg products.
- Dried lentils, dried chickpeas, dried peas, soy protein.
- Dicalcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, dried blueberries, dried cranberries.
- Dried carrots, calcium carbonate, salt, insulin.
- Vitamins: vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin D3, folic acids, biotin.
- Minerals: zins, proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.
- Taurine, mixed tocopherols, L-carnitine.
- Proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate), taurine, mixed tocopherols (preservative), L-carnitine.
The blue buffalo offers the wilderness in the food to help the dog to maintain they are naturally extinct and enjoy their food. The food is specifically designed to satisfy the dogs and their natural needs. The food is high in protein, and the salmon helps keep muscles lean.
The food is grain-free with healthy carbohydrates, sweet potatoes, peas. It helps to keep the dogs active. It works like fuel for the dogs. The food has omega3, omega-6 which help to maintain the skin and coat of the dog.
The food has a balanced amount of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The food helps to maintain the immune system. The food does not have any by-products, meals, corn, wheat or artificial flavors, or any preservatives.
- Rebound salmon, chicken meal.
- Peas, pea protein, fish meal, tapioca starch, dried yeast.
- Flaxseed, natural flavors, pea fibers.
- Calcium carbonate, choline chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, sweet potatoes, carrots, potassium chloride.
- Vegetable juice for the color, vitamins: vitamin E, vitamin B3, vitamin C, vitamin B7, vitamin B5, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, vitamin B9.
- Rosemary oil, sodium selenite, folic acids, dried Trichoderma.
The taste of the wild offers food for dogs with smoked salmon, which is high in protein. As a result of the high protein content in the food, the bones, joints, and muscles are strong. The food uses natural fruits and +superfood for the vitamins and minerals.
The food has omega fatty acids that help in the maintenance of the skin and coat of the dog. The dog food contains probiotics, antibiotics, and prebiotics, which help in digestion and maintain the dog’s immune system.
The food is formulated from trusted sources. The food does not contain any kind of grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavor, or color.
- Salmon, ocean fish meal.
- Sweet potatoes, peas, folic acids.
- Canola oil, lentils, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potatoes fiber.
- Natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, taurine, yucca extract.
- Blueberries, raspberries, vitamins: vitamin B12, vitamin D3.
- Minerals: zinc, iron, copper, manganese.
Homemade Dog Food for Allergies
There are some recipes you can try to give your dogs by making them at home:
- Turkey, stir-fried.
- Mutton fried.
- Almond oatmeal cookies.
Brown rice, ground turkey, spinach chopped, carrots, zucchini shredded.
Take a saucepan and pour 3 cups of water into it. When it comes to a boil, add rice and cook it. Separately put a pan on the stove and put olive oil in it. After adding ground turkey and cooking it on medium heat, crumble the turkey while cooking it for about 5 minutes. Put the carrots, zucchini, spinach peas in the pan, stir them, and then add the brown rice. Set it aside and let it cool.
Which Ingredients are Allergic to Dogs?
Normally eating beef for the dogs is not harmful. However, eating it frequently can end up having an allergy in the dogs. The majority of dog food contains beef, which is why it is not suitable for sensitive or allergic dogs.
Dairy food can cause allergies. If your dog is allergic it will have skin itchiness or redness. The lactose in the dairy can even cause gas, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Grains can cause allergies in many dogs. However, mostly it is not so common compared to wheat. It can cause a severe allergic reaction in dogs. Most dog foods have wheat in them. Make sure to choose wisely for your allergic dog.
Soy is very harmful to dogs according to some vets. It does not only cause an allergic reaction but causes several health problems, thyroid or liver diseases.
Egg allergy means that the protein present in the yolk of the egg is not digestible or causes the immune system to overreact for some dogs. Eggs are not so common, so it is easy to avoid them.
Ust like beef, the same goes for the chicken frequently. The use of chicken can cause allergy, or the dogs who have an allergy to beef will be allergic to chicken and lamb.
Things to Consider Before Getting Best Dog Food for Food Allergies or Skin Allergies?
Protein plays a very important function in the dog’s body. It supplies amino acids to maintain hair, skin, nails, muscles, ligaments, and cartilage.
It produces enzymes. The source of protein should be trusted while choosing to make sure to check from where they are getting their protein-based ingredients.
Your dog’s nutritional needs
Nutrients are the boosters for the immune system and health. Keeping your dog’s body healthy and removing preservatives and chemicals from his food is the job of the kidney and liver. Make sure the nutritional needs are complete in the food you are selecting.
While selecting the dog’s food, be sure to check the number of minerals, vitamins, proteins, carbs, and fats. These are the ingredients that are the most crucial for your dog.
Foods with limited ingredients do not have fillers or other harmful ingredients. The food is based on some specific and natural ingredients. Most brands choose salmon or chicken and vegetable peas and carrots or potatoes while choosing limited ingredients food.
Is it Grain Free Dog Food?
The grain-free dog food is helpful. It helps the dogs to get less flaky skin and a good coat. It also helps in whitening teeth.
Causes of Dog Skin Allergies
- The dog may eat ingredients that don’t suit them if they have a food allergy.
- Environmental allergy: The allergy can be the reason for the environment. If your dog is living in any area if they get bitten by insects it can cause a skin allergy.
- Flea allergy: A flea’s saliva can cause allergy in the dog. It ends up causing itchiness, redness for the dog.
Symptoms to look for when there is an allergy in dogs
For the face
There will be redness on the face, around the ear, hair loss around the ear, hair loss around muzzles.
Scratching, rubbing face with paws, and sneezing.
Redness, bad odor, hair loss, scaly skin, dry skin, or irritated skin.
Scratching, licking, trembling, or rubbing on objects.
For the ear
Yeast infection, red odor, waxy discharge,
Scratching, rubbing, or shaking head.
Redness, bare sports, bad odor, discolored from licking, or sores.
Rubbing on furniture, licking, scratching,
Discoloration, inflamed, hot spots, dry skin, red or brown between the toes.
Chewing and licking.
Help other Dog owners in finding the best dog food for allergies. How? Pin this blog and share it with your friends. We’ve created a beautiful pin for you to pin on your board. Pin it, Share it!
While selecting the best dog food for allergies, there are a lot of brands in the market that offer foods with ingredients that are ideal for dogs. The food is suitable for dogs and their sensitivities.
Other than the dog food available on the market, you can also use homemade Dog Food for Allergies. There are a lot of symptoms you can see like itching, redness, scratching. The factors which are good for food are its ingredients, limited ingredients, grain-free proteins.
Mary is a Dog lover and a pet blogger. She’s been writing helpful tips for dog owners regarding dog’s eating behavior, selection of suitable dog food, and what foods dogs can or can’t eat. Also, she’s been writing on multiple blogs as a guest blogger regarding dog food, and how to feed a dog in a correct way.